Below are a selection of FAQ's we find our customers ask us. If you have a question which isn't here, please, give us a call or drop us an    e-mail!  


Q) What is Part P, and what does it mean to me?

A) Since January 1, 2005, all electrical work (apart from simple like-for-like replacement of damaged power points and light fittings) has been subjected to approval by local authority building control officers. Any un-qualified person who carries out certain works, for example fits a new lighting circuit in the kitchen or installs and electric shower, is not obliged by the new Part P of the Building Regulations to supply plans in advance to the local council and then pay for an inspector to come out to test the work. Professional electricians have to become a member of one of the five government-approved (but privately administered) competend persons scheme. This requires an annual fee of around £500, and extra fees for the registraton of every completed job. This ensures that all electrical works are carried out to an acceptable standard.


Q) How much will it cost to change by fusebox/consumer unit?

A) This depends on how many circuits there are. A general house or flat will cost approx £400-£500.00, but single circuit fuseboards, such as a shower or garage will be approx. £200.00


 Q) I have an electrical fault. How much will it cost to put right?

A) This depends on how long it takes to find/locate the fault and is priced as individual jobs, so no two electrical problems will be the same.


Q) Why do I need to upgrade the earthing to the pipework?

A) The new consumer units work by an earthing systems for your safety, so the more earthing points you have then the better the RCD's work (which is ultimately proecting the householder)


Q) I'm renting out a property and a friend told me that the appliances left need to be PAT tested, but the Estate Agents say this isn't necessary.  Which one's right?

The landlord has a duty of care to ensure that all the appliances left in the property are safe. The only sure way of doing this is to have the items reguarlly PAT tested. This will indicate a natural, gradual breakdown of the internal componant parts.Although not yet a leagal requirement, PAT testing is the only sure way of knowing that the appliances are safe.